Tuesday, September 29, 2015

YouTube Gaming Mobile App is a Glorified Re-Skin



I am not pleased with YouTube Gaming so far. The desktop version still does not work yet, which is a major detriment. 

YouTube Gaming is nothing more than a tab. The YouTube Gaming infrastructure is so tightly bound to existing YouTube, that it's hardly more than a portal tab. I can watch vlogs and animation by typing it into the search engine, which is great because I enjoy the color palette more, but it doesn't offer video game streams anything that didn't exist on YouTube previously.

One thing I can commend YouTube Gaming in is that my subscriptions are placed in alphabetical order. I absolutely hate going to YouTube and seeing my subscriptions in an ever morphing mess. Certain times searching through my list is actually more work than typing the channel name into the search bar. It borders on being useless.

Subscriptions can be imported into YouTube Gaming, which means any channels labeled under Gaming will be the only thing in the new subscription bar. And that's where the benefits begin and end.

Outside of the new colors, the regular YouTube app offers so much more functionality than YouTube Gaming. For example, there was an older video on a channel I watch that I wanted to rewatch. It's less than a year old, and the YouTuber doesn't update too often, so I decided to scroll through their upload list. What I found out was YouTube Gaming wouldn't let me search farther than three months, and the video I wanted to see and couldn't remember the name to was about seven months old. I had to switch back to the regular YouTube app and find the video, which scrolled faster and had more videos on the screen at once.

White light on a computer screen is harsher on the eyes than dark colors. It's the reason why Theater Mode was added around the edges of YouTube videos. Bright lights hurts and drain the eyes, which is not conducive for having viewers watch a stream for hours on end. I enjoy the color change, but don't see why YouTube Gaming should be the only one sporting it.

If possible, I would remove this exclusive functionality from YouTube Gaming and give it as an option to YouTube as a whole. It would make YouTube Gaming less exclusive power, but it would exponentially benefit casual YouTube videos.

YouTube Gaming is not much more than a re-skin. In many ways it's worse than regular YouTube apps. The YouTube team will need many months to address and fix this issues, because nothing listed is an easy job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment